Thursday 2 January 2014

Ingredient one LEEKS = leek soup

So I have a challenge child who "hates" onions.  I decided that one of my goals would be to change her mind slowly by introducing leeks to her as not an onion but as another food.  Here was my first experiment without a recipe and with simple ingredients put together.  I got my initial inspiration while searching recipes that included leeks, and found a lot of people used leeks and potatoes together.  I then decided because we have been sick in my house I would eliminate the cream/milk component and tweet it to our likes.  Here is how I did it.

First I cut three small onions and sautéed them until soft


While this is softening clean than slice three leeks into small pieces


Peel and dice three potatoes
 

Grate a while head of garlic


Once the onions are soft I added the leek pieces and let it cook a bit longer (6 minutes)
I then add a box of salt free Campbell's chicken broth,  add the potatoes and grated garlic. 

I added spices (1 tsp of thyme and rosemary) to season per our families likes, then cooked until the potatoes are tender (about 15 minutes).




Here is the biggest and most important step........I then blended the soup in a blender to incorporate all ingredients into a thick cream like consistency


This is the point where is put it back into the pan and added about 1/3 cup of shredded Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste 


This was the finished product: 


And all three kids LOVED it! The one who hates onions.....was the first to finish too!














No comments:

Post a Comment